These super cute strawberry lemonade cupcakes are perfect for this summer! Serve them at your pool party for a super unique and delicious treat. Your kids will absolutely love these colorful cupcakes! Check out the recipe below!
Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon zest freshly grated
- 3 large egg whites (you can discard the yolks)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup sour cream room temperature
- 3 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed*
- 8 oz fresh strawberries
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 1 tbsp whipping cream if needed
1. Core and cut the strawberries to remove the green centers. Then puree in the food processor or blender until smooth. Then push the puree through a wire sieve to remove the seeds. You should have about ¾ cup of puree.
2. Transfer the puree to a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil while gently stirring. Allow the mixture to boil for about 15-20 minutes, or until the mixture has reduced to about ⅓ to ¼ of the original volume (about ¼ cup). The thicker your puree is, the thicker your frosting will be.
3. Remove from the heat and allow mixture to cool fully. You can place it in the fridge or freezer to speed up the process.
4. In a large bowl beat the butter until fluffy, then beat in about 1.5 cups of the powdered sugar. Then turn the mixer down to low and beat in 2-3 tablespoons of the reduced strawberry puree. The mixture must be cold when it's added to the frosting, otherwise the frosting will separate.
5. Once added, beat in the rest of the powdered sugar and the whipping cream if necessary.
6. Frost the cupcakes either with a piping bag (I used a 1M tip or with a knife).